[sip-comm-announce] [sip-comm-dev] Is LGPL for the OSGI version OK with everyone?

Emil Ivov emil_ivov at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 10:16:00 CET 2005

Hi guys,

As some of you might know we are currently working on a major
architecture shift of the sip-communicator. Next version will be OSGI
based (using the OSCAR open source implementation).

This pretty much means that from now on the sip-communicator will be a
bunch of plug-ins (osgi bundles) which offer implement and use different
services.

Until now the sip-communicator and its code have been available under
the Apache 1.1 license. We are however considering using an LGPL license
for the next release.

In a few words this means that: You will be able to right your own
bundles for the sip-communicator and release them (or not) under
whatever license u may wish. You could also modify sip-communicator's
bundles and use them internally (i.e. without distributing them) without
releasing ur code. If however u'd need to change a sip-communicator
bundle (i.e. fix bugs or optimize it ) and distribute it afterwards you
will have to make your changes available to the public.

Is that fine with all of you?

Cheers