[sip-comm-dev] Adding a SIP p2p mode without registrar

Koch Michael MKoch at rowa.de
Fri Nov 9 09:07:31 CET 2007

Hi all!

Here's another followup to an e-mail discussion with Emil, where I told him
about a feature which I have added to my private branch of SIP Communicator.
We thought that would be of general interest.

>> I wrote:
>> * I've added a ProtocolProviderServiceSipNoRegistrarImpl, which allows
you
>> to make P2P SIP calls without having to register with a SIP registrar
first
>> (it just fakes the REGISTERED state of the
ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl).

>Emil wrote:
>This is also very nice, but I wonder what would be the best way to add
>it to SIP Communicator. A separate provider would virtually mean
>branching the sip protocol implementation and then making sure that all
>bug fixes to one of the branches, are also copied to the other.
>
>Couldn't we somehow add this as an option in the wizard?
>
>Alternately, if you don't have the time to work on it any more, we could
>create an optional downloadable plugin and make it available as soon as
>we have our online repository.

My change to the existing code isn't really big. I've refactored the
ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl into an
AbstractProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl with implementations
ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl and
ProtocolProviderServiceSipNoRegistrarImpl. The
ProtocolProviderFactorySipImpl chooses the implementation to use when
property could be set by the account wizard. The
ProtocolProviderServiceSipNoRegistrarImpl simply doesn't contain the
registering code of the ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl and say it is
registered at once when the register method is called. It also does only
support the OperationSetBasicTelephony and OperationSetDTMF, since I don't
know if the others will work without a registrar and didn't need them.

If you are interested in this functionality, I could prepare a patch.
Someone else would have to do the work of adapting the account wizard to
support the option of not using a wizard, since unfortunately I don't have
the time to do this.

Regards
Michael Koch