[sip-comm-dev] [GSoC09] Java interface for Mac OS X's Growl

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Fri Jul 24 19:13:06 CEST 2009

Hey Egidijus,

Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:
> It actually sounds good. If I understand correctly, you don't like that
> PopupHandlers alter the systray.POPUP_HANDLER property?

Right, I don't really like this. Properties are meant primarily as a way
to store configuration details. Using them as a means of inter-bundle
communication is a pretty slippery slope. There's no way to easily see
who's acting on them (other than grep), it's difficult to sync access in
a meaningful way, and its easy to neglect using code.

> I have changed
> GrowlNotificationActvator after I wrote the email. Now it doesn't have
> to alter that property and is very simple. I wanted the "Growl
> Notifications" option to be unavailable in preferences pane if Growl is
> not installed, and to do this I simply do not register it.

That's nice.

> An if I do not register it, then the Swing notification is used
> automatically,

Right, but only because it uses the POPUP_HANDLER property ... which I
don't like ;).

> and there is no need for GrowlNotificationActivator
> to change the systray.POPUP_HANDLER property anymore.

How come? What would prevent the SwingNotificationActivator from setting
it being the default on Mac OS X then?

> However,
> it still needs to be launched before Swing handler. But this is
> needed only on the first SC run.

We use start order mostly as a way of satisfying inter-bundle
dependencies. We should avoid using it as way of selecting between
service implementations. At some point we are going to start maintaining
an on-line bundle repository, so even though this is not the case we
should still keep in mind that bundles may come and go with absolutely
no order.

Cheers