[sip-comm-dev] [GSoC09] Java interface for Mac OS X's Growl

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Tue Jul 28 00:12:15 CEST 2009

Hey Egidijus,

Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:
> Nevertheless, I couldn't come up with a
> solution that would not require some order in starting bundles. In
> order for Systray service to select the best default popup message
> handler, it must have them loaded before it started. It is not as hard
> a requirement as requiring particular order of starting popup message
> handlers, but still a requirement for particular order. Do you think
> this is acceptable?

We have a dependency between the Systray bundle and the popup msg
handlers so it is normal to require one type of bundles to load for the
other to run. In other words, we could consider it acceptable to have
all popup message handlers load before the Systray service and this is
probably how we are going to have them in felix.client.run.properties.

However, this doesn't need to be a necessary condition for the selection
process to work. The Systray service should register a service listener
with the bundle context and update it's selection every time a new
handler is registered (provided no user preference has been specified).

This should make handler selection completely independent of startup order.

What do you think?

Cheers