[sip-comm-dev] GSoC 2009 - Sound Level Indicator - Mid Term Report

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Mon Jul 13 19:15:17 CEST 2009

Hey Dilshan,

Dilshan Kanchana wrote:
> Add a linear (1-dimension) widget in the UI that displays information
> received from the above mechanisms in a 1-to-1 call (done)
>
> So with that implementing the sound level indicator for a 1 to 1 call is
> completed. Here is a screenshot
> <http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1946/screeniip.jpg> which shows the
> sound level indicator working for a 1 to 1 call.

I was wondering whether there was a particular reason/problem that made
you put the levels on top and not below the image as Yana suggested.
Don't hesitate to let us know in case you are having trouble placing
them underneath the image.

> In the next term I'll be focusing on these points along with the
> creating unit tests part..

That would be tricky actually. We could lower the priority of this one
since I am not sure there's a sensible way to do the unit testing here.
Not at this stage at least.

> Make the media service interfaces and impl compatible with conference calls

You can start by the GUI and a simulated conference (i.e. a call that
adds artificial participants). I am currently working on redesigning the
whole media package so that it would be more straightforward and usable
for Jingle. This would mean that any work you do on the media package is
likely to become irrelevant in the following week or two.

> Implement support for retrieving/sending per-participant sound level
> information in RTP packets

This is probably same as above.

This means that you can either concentrate on the conferencing UI or
take another temporary task. I suggested a possibility to Seb (improved,
nio based support for TCP), so let me know what you think of it.

Cheers