[sip-comm-dev] GSoC 2009 - Sound Level Indicator - Mid Term Report

Sébastien Mazy smazy at dev.java.net
Wed Jul 15 22:30:13 CEST 2009

Hi Dilshan, all,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:43:43PM +0530, Dilshan Kanchana wrote:
> First thing that came to my mind is why not Jain-Sip has already fixed
> this issue.  I think all this problem is because of the architecture
> of Jain-Sip.

The task would precisely be to add this feature to JAIN SIP.

> Next thing is, even we fixed the issue by making the ServerSocket
> share a channel with the client one, will that enable us to get
> messages directly to our ListeningPoint?

Yes.

> I dont think so as we are doing it inside the firewall.

We're speaking about a NAT device which requires the connection to be
established from its inner side.

> And I'm also not clear about the purpose of having a ListeningPoint in our
> application which really can't listen to anything directly.

It can, but to keep the NAT binding alive, we need to be able to
generate traffic from the same port we listen on (what we already do
with UDP).

> Also, I was wondering where to look for the related classes in the SC
> code.  I think it is in the
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip package. I guessed it is
> the SipStackSharing class mainly. Is this correct?

The change would have to be made in JAIN-SIP, not in SIP Communicator
(but SC would directly benefit from it).

Sébastien Mazy