[sip-comm-dev] Behavior Request

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Wed Aug 4 23:42:07 CEST 2010

Hey Lubo,

Are you saying this because you have the feeling Gnome's guidelines
recommend a double click for systray icons? Because if not trying to act
like other popular applications isn't such a bad idea.

На 04.08.10 23:26, Lubomir Marinov написа:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM, S Pinker <stephenpinker79 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how the behaviour of the sip-comm tray icon is on Windows or
>> Macintosh, but it is awkward on Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Which desktop environment of Ubuntu is your request for?
>
>> When I single click on the SC icon, it does nothing. It requires a
>> double-click to bring up the main window. This wouldn't be as much of a
>> problem if it were consistent with other programs, but unfortunately it's
>> not, which makes the user have to always think twice about which tray icon
>> they are choosing. Making it unintuitive.
>
>> Single click on the icon and the program opens. Single click on the icon
>> again and the program goes back to tray.
>
> In the absence of information regarding the desktop environment, I
> assume here that your report is for the default desktop environment of
> Ubuntu i.e. GNOME. Could you please point us to the guideline in GNOME
> Human Interface Guidelines which specifies that a single click in to
> be used in the case instead of a double click?
>
>> The behaviour of all of these other popular messenger programs is consistent
>> in the tray:
>> xchat
>
> If I'm not mistaken, XChat is a GTK+ application which does not boast
> GNOME compliance. I seem to remember a separate project called
> xchat-gnome which attempts to produce a GNOME-compliant XChat version.
>
>> skype
>
> I'm not entirely sure what Skype is consistent with but I'm not so
> sure it is the default desktop environment of Ubuntu. For example, its
> Options window is not only called Options instead of Preferences but
> it's also entirely "explicit apply" instead of being generally
> "instant apply" and "explicit apply" only for groups of controls which
> require it.
>
>> pidgin
>
> Which version of Ubuntu is your report for? I admit I'm using the
> latest Pidgin from a PPA but Pidgin is in the indicator applet on my
> Ubuntu right next to Empathy where it is supposed to be.

Emil Ivov, Ph.D.                               67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead                                   France
SIP Communicator
emcho at sip-communicator.org                     PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://sip-communicator.org                    FAX:   +33.1.77.62.47.31