[sip-comm-dev] Behavior Request

Lubomir Marinov lubo at sip-communicator.org
Wed Aug 4 23:26:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM, S Pinker <stephenpinker79 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know how the behaviour of the sip-comm tray icon is on Windows or
> Macintosh, but it is awkward on Ubuntu Linux.

Which desktop environment of Ubuntu is your request for?

> When I single click on the SC icon, it does nothing. It requires a
> double-click to bring up the main window. This wouldn't be as much of a
> problem if it were consistent with other programs, but unfortunately it's
> not, which makes the user have to always think twice about which tray icon
> they are choosing. Making it unintuitive.

> Single click on the icon and the program opens. Single click on the icon
> again and the program goes back to tray.

In the absence of information regarding the desktop environment, I
assume here that your report is for the default desktop environment of
Ubuntu i.e. GNOME. Could you please point us to the guideline in GNOME
Human Interface Guidelines which specifies that a single click in to
be used in the case instead of a double click?

> The behaviour of all of these other popular messenger programs is consistent
> in the tray:
> xchat

If I'm not mistaken, XChat is a GTK+ application which does not boast
GNOME compliance. I seem to remember a separate project called
xchat-gnome which attempts to produce a GNOME-compliant XChat version.

> skype

I'm not entirely sure what Skype is consistent with but I'm not so
sure it is the default desktop environment of Ubuntu. For example, its
Options window is not only called Options instead of Preferences but
it's also entirely "explicit apply" instead of being generally
"instant apply" and "explicit apply" only for groups of controls which
require it.

> pidgin

Which version of Ubuntu is your report for? I admit I'm using the
latest Pidgin from a PPA but Pidgin is in the indicator applet on my
Ubuntu right next to Empathy where it is supposed to be.