[jitsi-dev] Switching to the Apache Licenses

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Thu Jun 18 10:25:30 CEST 2015

Hey all,

As you all know Blue Jimp has joined Atlassian. With this new
partnership, we are making changes, due to expected growth - thanks to
more eyes than ever on the Jitsi Community.

The first update we will be making is that we are changing our license.

In order to lower adoption barriers, Blue Jimp is switching to the
Apache license and contributor agreement.

Most of you on this list are familiar with differences between Apache
and LGPL, but we wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page:

LGPL, our current license allows everyone to integrate and ship our
various jars. Once you start making changes and distributing them
however, then you you need to make sure these changes are also available
under LGPL, AKA the LGPL reciprocity clause.

As the copyright holder, in BlueJimp we have been been exempt from this
reciprocity clause. Even though we rarely use it, we had the liberty to
modify our code without making our changes public. No one else had this
option.

Switching to Apache ends our advantage in this regard, and allows
everyone to use, integrate and distribute Jitsi with a lot less limitations.

We’ll also be using DocuSign for the Apache Contributor License
Agreement, so we need all existing contributors to sign the Apache CLA,
but thanks to DocuSign, signing up for the new license will be just a
few clicks.

https://jitsi.org