[jitsi-users] Re: Using Registrarless SIP Over the Internet From Behind NAT

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Sat Mar 24 14:59:33 CET 2012

Hey Ehtyar,

On 24.03.12 09:56, Ehtyar Holmes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to use registrarless SIP from behind a NAT (on both ends)
> over the internet.

This doesn't start well :). RegistrarLess SIP is mostly meant for
testing and using it to connect UAs behind different NATs is definitely
not one of the use cases it was meant for.

> It seems that Jitsi is not aware of the NAT, so all
> the RTP packets get blackholed into the far end's private address on
> each end of the call. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I can do to
> work around that please? I guess ideally Jitsi would simply use the IP
> address from the URI of the call instead, or would report it public
> address from each end (ICE support is on the way I believe), but perhaps
> there's a way around this that doesn't involve any code.

ICE is indeed on the way, but even when it does come it won't do
anything to help with NAT traversal for SIP signaling itself. Only media.

> I created an issue here <http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1030> before
> I came across the mailing lists. My apologies if that was premature.

:) ... we'll survive. We get this all the time.

http://jitsi.org